Fruit is undoubtedly one of the most important foods with a healthy diet. By eating fruit you get a lot of useful nutrients, as has been shown so often by research. Many people who want to lose weight prefer to stay away from fruit because they contain sugars. That is not entirely justified: the sugars that are present in fruit are natural sugars packed in fibers and water. As a result, they do not have the detrimental effects that white refined sugar is so well known for.
Not only to be healthy, but also to lose weight, fruit is an important factor. The best fruits contain a lot of vitamins, fibers and minerals, so they keep the body healthier and support the removal of toxins and fat. In addition, they give you a feeling of satisfaction more quickly, which makes you tend to eat less in totality. The fruit diet was created from this principle. With this diet, the effect of fruit on weight loss is central.
Effectively enjoy fruit with the fruit diet
During the duration of the fruit diet you basically eat only fruit. With the fruit diet you can enjoy fruit with the benefits it offers. You can see it in this context as a form of the detox diet. But because you only eat fruit and little else, the fruit diet is also seen as a crash diet. A crash diet is never a good idea, because long-term goals are often not the focus here and people just look for a way to get rid of kilos quickly. The result is that those lost pounds are immediately saved as soon as the crash diet is over.
A fruit diet, however, is a bit different in the sense that you are less hungry than with a regular crash diet. Your body will also be better fed. Thanks to the large amounts of vitamins, minerals, fibers and water, your body is well hydrated and it reduces toxins much more efficiently. In addition, a fruit diet supports digestion and helps to drain excess fluid that is retained in the body.
What exactly is the fruit diet?
The fruit diet has no fixed schedule. However, it is advisable to keep a short, fixed period, for example a week. Furthermore, you can actually choose for yourself how you will apply the fruit diet in your daily life. For example, if you can drop food such as pasta, bread and milk for a week without any problems, you will eat more fruit instead. Mind you, fruit is also the only thing you will consume during a stringent fruit diet. Often exceptions are made and vegetables are also allowed.
Either way you eat certain fruits every day on a normal schedule, preferably fresh and immediately after you have cut them. It is recommended to drink at least two liters of water, but herbal tea or fruit juices are also allowed. After the first week you can slowly start to adopt an ordinary diet, where you also eat lean meat, vegetables and yoghurt. In this way the fruit diet forms a low-carbohydrate diet.
Slowly building is the message!
Lose weight is not a problem with this diet, persist. In addition, as with any crash diet, it is difficult to hold your new weight. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can repeat the cycle again. However, it is advisable not to do it for longer than a week, because otherwise you can get a strong shortage of vital nutrients.
For the bread lovers
Some really can not do without bread and other forms of complex carbohydrates. Think of people who are very active or exercise a lot, which means they need more energy. In that case, you can only eat fruit for two days, followed by one day of normal nutrition. In this way you end up in a kind of cycle, which makes it easier to keep the schedule full.
Important for a fruit diet
There are, however, a number of important issues that you need to take into account when following such a meal plan:
- Unripe fruits digest much more difficult than the ripe ones, so always buy them as ripe as possible.
- Nutrition with many proteins is avoided as much as possible during the fruit diet, as these counteract the digestion.
- Drink enough water (or other fluid-stimulating drinks) so that you stay well hydrated.
The advantages and disadvantages of the fruit-eating pattern
The fruit diet undoubtedly sounds like an attractive method to lose fat. However, as with many other forms of diets, there are also some drawbacks. A clear overview is therefore important. Here you will find the most important advantages and disadvantages of the fruit diet.
- You suffer less hunger than with a regular crash diet, because you can eat as much as you want.
- The diet is relatively healthy, because every food you ingest contains a lot of vitamins, minerals, fibers and water.
- You fall off effectively through the diet. At first this is mainly moisture, but later also fat.
- Your body is thoroughly cleaned, with toxins being drained.
- Many experts believe that the diet is very one-sided, and that shortages may arise in the long term. Other nutrients, such as important proteins and unsaturated fats, are lacking in the diet, but are essential for being healthy.
- As soon as you have lost fluid due to the diet, you will be able to lose fat less and less quickly.
- Not everyone likes fruit as much, and some people can therefore not keep the diet for longer.
- The diet is still a kind of crash diet anyway. One of the problems is that after the diet has ended you also have to make some effort to keep your weight. The fruit diet does not offer a real change in lifestyle.
A modified version of the fruit diet
If you want to eat more fruit instead of unhealthy products but you do not want to immediately follow a complete diet based on fruit, then an adapted solution is possible. You can also regularly hold a fruit day. On this day you only eat fruit, as described in this article. You also drink a lot of water, so that your stored moisture and fat drain faster. The next day you eat again as usual. In fact, you also come closer to the principle of interim fast.
You can hold such a fruit day once every two weeks, but some people also choose to only do it once a month. It is important to do what you feel good about yourself, so that you can keep up with it for longer and thus achieve more results.
A diet scheme example:
Below is an example of a schedule for the fruit diet.
- Half a pineapple
- 300 grams of strawberries
- 2 pears
- 2 kiwis
- two liters of water / tea
- 2 apples
- 200 grams of grapes
- half a melon
- 1 orange
- 1 kiwi
- two liters of water / tea
A ‘normal’ day, where you follow an ordinary healthy diet.
The fruit diet: a healthy crash diet or not?
The fruit diet is undoubtedly a good way to quickly lose excess fluid and fat, in a relatively healthy way. If you want to detox light, this diet is a solid intermediate step to quickly lose a few pounds. It is, of course, not a long-term diet or a diet that you can always maintain. The fruit diet simply offers too little variation for this. However, the fruit diet is well suited to the principle of interim fast, so that you still get enough nutrients.