Paleo Diet Plan – Lose 1 to 2 Pounds Per Week
I have written this article for people who are planning to take the Paleo diet (you will find a complete diet plan below) and for people who still have doubts whether this is the right diet for them (the advantages and disadvantages are clear in this article. summed up).
With the Paleo diet you lose in healthy ways up to 8 kilos per month (provided you do not kick into the famous Paleo pitfalls that are discussed later in this article. And the best part is: you are not obliged to go to the gym or take supplements.
With the Paleo diet plan from this article you can:
- Up to 2 kilos per week (in the first week possibly even more)
- Also burn those last kilos of fat (read below)
- Enjoy all health benefits: more energy, no nightly binge eating and a deeper sleep
In this article I will explain why the Paleo diet works and I give you the Paleo shopping list and the weekly schedule with snacks, recipes, tips and guidelines. In short: everything you need to successfully follow the Paleo diet.
Before I tell you how to best follow the Paleo diet, I will explain to you why the Paleo diet works so well. To clarify this, we briefly dive back into the time of our distant ancestors.
The Paleo diet
The Paleo diet is based on how our distant ancestors lived 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago in the paleolithic period (ancient Stone Age). The name Paleo is derived from the Greek word ‘old’.
The Paleo diet is more a way of life than a diet. It is therefore also called the Paleo principle. With the Paleo diet you fall off by eating extra proteins and fats, at the expense of carbohydrates. The Paleo diet has become extremely popular in recent years as a method to lose weight, partly due to the many health benefits that the diet offers. For example, the Paleo diet helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and increase insulin sensitivity, allowing fat to be burned faster and prevent type 2 diabetes.
By eating enough omega-3 fatty acids during the Paleo diet, cognitive functions (where layers of these keys are again?) Can be improved and the risk of dementia can be reduced.
Our distant ancestors were hunters and collectors. On the menu were meat, fish, crustaceans and shellfish, eggs, nuts, fruit and a large variety of vegetables, such as lettuce, carrots, broccoli and spinach.
Our primitive ancestors ate everything that nature had to offer. They had no choice. If you were hungry you could not go to the local supermarket, but you had to look for edible plant species or hunt with a pointed spear in your hand.
Our distant ancestors had no choice but to live according to the Paleo principle, and that is reflected when we draw the following equation.
- Current person: overweight, a lot of stress, somber, dies of various diseases of prosperity, smaller brain mass, shorter and less energy.
- Paleo ancestors: tall, muscular, loan, excellent condition, bigger brain mass, longer and able to cover many kilometers.
Nowadays we live longer, but that has mainly to do with the availability of medical interventions. Also, the chances of being attacked by a predator or freezing due to a severe winter are significantly smaller today.
So what is going wrong here? If we have so much advanced knowledge about the human body, why do we look at primitive primal people to become healthier and lose weight?
Action and reaction: why our body lost the thread
We have about the same body as primordial people. That is because human evolution adapts very slowly to our new environment. And that is exactly where the problems arise.
Agriculture was invented 10,000 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Nowadays there is mass production of cereals on depleted soil, crops that are sprayed with chemical pesticides and manufacturers who stuff food with preservatives, sweeteners, sugar and salt.
It is not surprising that our body has lost the thread. We are primordial people in the modern world. Our bodies are adjusting, but it is impossible to deal with the rapid changes in our environment.
For you this means that you are having an unpleasant fight when it comes to losing weight. Your whole environment differs from the Paleo principle in such a way that healthy eating is sometimes almost impossible if you do not know how to approach it exactly. You will read later in this article how you can effortlessly eat healthy according to the Paleo diet.
Why you better not eat corn
Avoid grain as much as possible if you want to lose weight with the Paleo diet.
That means that from now on you can best leave your bread, pasta, pizza and many ready-to-eat products with wheat in it.
Despite the fact that grain contains fiber, proteins, fats and a number of vitamins, grain is not suitable for getting slim and healthy. This has to do with the way plants reproduce:
- Plants with a win-win survival strategy
Plant species such as blueberries provide a high nutritional value. They are meant to be eaten by humans and animals, so that the seeds can grow in the fertile feces to make the next generation possible. This is how the plant survives, while humans and animals also benefit from it.
- Plants with a “stay away from me” survival strategy
Plant varieties such as grain do not opt for humans, but for the wind to spread their seeds. In fact, they want to protect themselves against people. They do this by making substances such as lectine, which can damage your body. This defense mechanism is meant to prevent us from eating grain.
Too many of these harmful substances cause various problems in your body, such as more often being sick, fatigue or not being able to burn those last kilos of excess fat.
The Paleo diet: the basis
The Paleo diet is similar to the low- carbohydrate diet. You still eat carbohydrates, but only from the right sources. So you feel energetic, while you lose those excess pounds (including belly fat).
Paleo diet shopping list
- Meat: beef, pork, lamb, turkey, chicken and other poultry.
- Fish: cod, salmon, sardines, herring, mackerel, anchovies, eel and lophius (family of the monkfish).
- Crustacean and shellfish: shrimp, prawns, lobster, mussels, oysters and crab.
- Vegetables from the nightshade family (eat limited) : tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, peppers and goji berries.
- All other vegetables: eat as much as you want. Especially dark leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and lettuce are recommended in the Paleo diet.
- Seeds and seeds: sunflower seeds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, chia seed, linseed, hemp seed, pomegranate seeds, apricot kernels, sesame seeds, cumin seeds and grape seeds.
- Fruit (eat limited, max. 2 servings per day): apples, oranges, bananas, strawberries, melon, watermelon, cherries, grapes, blueberries, avocado, raspberries, nectarines, peaches, apricots and pineapple.
- Beverages: water (with lime or orange slice), coffee (max. 2 per day) and tea. Limit alcohol as much as possible or do not drink at all.
- Healthy carbohydrates (consume in moderation): quinoa, oats, sweet potatoes, white rice, rice cakes and dark chocolate (70% + cocoa).
- Oil and fats: flaxseed oil, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, walnut oil and the fat in avocados.
By eating this shopping list, your body makes more fat burning hormones and less fat storage hormones.
What about legumes?
Legumes (beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc.) are not recommended in the Paleo diet.
Legumes, like cereals, contain phytic acid: a natural defense mechanism of a plant. An excess of phytic acid can ensure that you do not waste slowly or not at all, because important nutrients such as iron, magnesium and zinc can be absorbed less well.
Nuts and seeds also contain phytic acid, but they are allowed in the Paleo diet because you do not eat too much.
What about dairy?
Dairy is also not recommended in the Paleo diet. The assumption is that prehistoric people could not catch wild cows to milk. That is why dairy products are generally not recommended for the Paleo diet.
Yet dairy is a bit of a gray area. It can not be ruled out whether prehistoric humans were able to milk wild cows. In addition, high-quality dairy products have a number of healthy qualities, despite the fact that primitive people might not be able to eat it.
The positive thing about dairy is the amount of complex fatty acids it contains. These fatty acids help you to burn fat. Dairy also contains healthy bacteria that can stimulate the intestinal flora and is very practical as a lunch or quick snack.
The negative thing about dairy products is that there are often hormones that allow all kinds of cells to grow in your body. Some of them are good, others are bad. Dairy also contains lactose (milk sugar) that you can be sensitive to. This is called lactose intolerance.
Even if you are not lactose intolerant, it is not a good idea to buy a carton of milk from the supermarket. The cows are fed with grain and corn, making the milk of low quality. The omega 3: 6 ratio gets out of balance, which makes losing weight slower. During the Paleo diet you can replace milk with sugar-free almond milk.
There is also dairy with a higher nutritional value, such as:
- Greek yoghurt
- Old cheese
Whatever you do: do not eat and drink dairy with sugars or harmful sweeteners and choose (if possible) for the organic variant.
Paleo diet meal schedule
To make it easy for you, I have put together a weekly menu for you that burns fat. You can follow it until you reach your goal weight.
- Breakfast: vegetable omelet with coconut oil, halved cherry tomatoes and spinach.
- Lunch: grilled chicken salad with olive oil, cucumber, half avocado and lettuce. Keep the other half of the avocado in a sealed container in the refrigerator for Tuesday.
- Snack 1: almonds.
- Dinner: beef goulash.
- Snack 2: black olives.
- Breakfast: smoothie of blueberries, spinach, 100 ml almond milk and ice cubes.
- Lunch: lettuce-wrap with red onion, fried chicken and tomato.
- Snack 1: half avocado (from Monday). Scrape away the discolored part with a spoon.
- Dinner: grilled salmon with fennel, served with grilled vegetables.
- Snack 2: cucumber slices with a few drops of lemon juice.
- Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs and a piece of fruit.
- Lunch: sardine salad with lettuce, tomato, pepper, onion and olives.
- Snack 1: hand pecans.
- Dinner: Paleo spaghetti bolognese.
- Preparation: take one courgette per person, remove the ends and cut the zucchini into slices with a cheese slicer. Use a knife to cut the slices into thin spaghetti syrups. Fry the zucchini twigs for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Bake in another pan a chopped onion, a crushed clove of garlic, 50 g bacon strips and 200 g minced meat. Add 200 g of peeled tomatoes and season with pepper. Serve the zucchini spaghetti with the sauce. Keep a portion of the dish for Thursday’s lunch.
- Snack 2: carrot.
- Breakfast: smoothie of almond milk, blueberries, banana, nuts and seeds.
- Lunch: remains of Wednesday’s dinner.
- Snack 1: walnuts.
- Dinner: grilled chicken, served with vegetables and a couple of tablespoons of white rice.
- Snack 2: beef jerky.
- Breakfast: banana pancake with cinnamon and apple pieces.
- Lunch: shrimp salad.
- Snack 1: dipping celery in Paleo mayonnaise.
- Preparation Paleo mayonnaise: mix in a blender 2 egg yolks, 3 tsp lemon juice and 5 tbsp coconut oil. Then gradually add 150 ml of olive oil while the blender is running. Keep the Paleo mayonnaise in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Dinner: grilled king prawns, served with a soft-boiled sweet potato and vegetables of your choice.
- Snack 2: green olives.
- Breakfast: omelette with vegetables and half an avocado in pieces. Keep the other half of the avocado in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Lunch: salad with herring.
- Snack 1: half avocado.
- Dinner: wok with chicken fillet in curry powder, tomato, onion, garlic and 3 tablespoons boiled quinoa.
- Snack 2: date with a Brazil nut. Pitted the date and put a Brazil nut in it.
- Breakfast: smoothie of banana, kale, 100 ml of coconut milk and water.
- Lunch: turkey salad.
- Snack 1: Bulletproof coffee.
- Preparation: heat a blender with boiling water, brew a cup of normal coffee, pour the hot water from the blender and add the coffee together with one teaspoon of odorless coconut oil. Mix it well and pour the coffee back into the coffee cup. Add a little cinnamon for extra flavor. You can drink Bulletproof coffee daily.
- Dinner: chicken from the grill with steamed broccoli and Paleo mayonnaise.
- Snack 2: dipping vegetables as desired in guacamole.
From now on, eat according to the meal plan and the shopping list, and burn all your excess (belly) fat quickly and healthily.
Before you start … Read this!
Eating according to the Paleo diet can be a big change for your body. You can experience slight discomforts in the first week, such as fatigue, mild dizziness and, in exceptional cases, headache.
This is a typical sign that your body is switching to burning fat from food, rather than the carbohydrates.
You can choose to go 100% Paleo, or follow the diet according to the 80/20 rule and slowly expand the healthy habits.
How seriously do I have to take the Paleo rules?
We can learn a lot from our primitive ancestors, but the reality is that we live in a modern world. The deletion of dairy, legumes and (almost all) carbohydrates can feel as if your freedom is being taken away. And that is exactly why the Paleo way of life for some can not be sustained.
If you are willing to stick to the Paleo rules for 100%: perfect, go for it. But do you want more variation in your diet? Here are two suggestions:
- Eat legumes occasionally and boil them in advance. This way you eliminate a large part of the antibodies.
- Eat high-quality organic dairy products from time to time. Organic dairy from grass-fed cattle is the best.
- Avoid sugar and grain as much as possible.
How do you get the fastest off with the Paleo diet?
This has become a long article and perhaps too much to remember. To assure yourself of success, I advise you to:
- Add this page to your favorites and read it again later.
- Print the shopping list and the meal plan (download the print-friendly version in PDF here ).
- Please fill in the e-mail address below on which you want to receive my 22 best tips for quick and healthy weight loss. With these tips you burn organ fat and subcutaneous fat in your abdominal area.
The slimming tips are free and complete the Paleo diet. Leave below the e-mail address on which you would like to receive all this information and ensure yourself the best slimming tips.