Have you ever consumed a food item despite your knowledge of its harmful effects on your health? Oftentimes, people eat certain foods not because they are really hungry, but that they are unable to resist the temptation. They know that the food items may adversely affect their health. However, instead of avoiding those foods, they come up with several excuses and do not give up. They continue until they consume the food. But it is not the same for everyone.
Some people are very much conscious towards their health. They observe utmost control as far as food consumption is concerned. In fact, the food you consume directly affects your health, either positively or negatively. So, if you suffer from acid reflux, you need to be careful as certain foods cause this complication. However, before you start consuming the right food items, you are required to know the acid reflux foods to avoid. This is to keep them away from you if you really desire to get rid of it.
Which foods should the acid reflux patients avoid?
Besides hiatus hernia, certain food items are prone to trigger heartburn, and as a patient you avoid their consumption. Below are some most notorious food items:
- Citrus fruits: The citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons etc tend to escalate the acid level in the stomach and cause heartburn.
- Chocolates: It may appear to be hard to resist for chocolate lovers, but the bad news is that the chocolate or the chocolate products cause acid reflux, and hence needs to be avoided.
- Fatty and spicy foods: The dairy as well as the meat products high in fat cause heartburn. Also, spicy foods triggers the disease and one must keep away from them.
- Certain spices: The spices like black pepper, raw onions, and garlic etc are also considered to be the acid reflux foods to avoid. It is not that one should completely avoid them, But that they should not consume in excess.
- Coffee and caffeinated products: Coffee is also a culprit causing this disease. So, coffee as well as the caffeinated products should not be eaten if you are a patient.
- Carbonated drinks: Though, these in modern days have become the integral part of meals for many. They should be avoided as the carbonated drinks cause acid reflux.
- Alcoholic beverages: The alcoholic beverages, particularly the red wine, should be off the menu if you are a patient.
Besides certain food items, the manner of consuming the food items also plays a vital role in triggering the disease. So, you should not only know the heart burning foods to avoid, but simultaneously, it is advisable to learn the manner of consuming foods. For instance, you would be troubled by acid reflux if you eat just before the bedtime. Moreover, if you eat large meals, the chances of getting acid reflux go high. So, instead of gulping a heavy meal, you can eat several small meals and avoid heartburn.
Apart from hiatal hernia treatment, certain food items are considered to be the risk factors of acid reflux. So, if you frequently suffer from acid reflux, you should know the acid reflux foods to avoid and keep them at a safe distance. The present article, here, would provide you the list of acid reflux foods to avoid, and by avoiding these food items, you can keep away from acid reflux.