Weight loss is not an overnight job to accomplish as it requires a lot of hard work as well as smart work. Obesity and being overweight is one of the most common health issues many of us are facing nowadays and it can be the pathway to several life-threatening diseases. Reducing weight is not easy and many of us feel frustrated and irritated during the process. We seek easy magic-bullet kind of solutions like weight loss surgery or pills to shed kilos.
These methods might show effective results, but only on a short-term basis and can be really harmful. With a lifestyle and diet change, we can reduce weight in the most effective, natural, and safe manner. According to many studies it has been proven that our diet is equally responsible for weight loss and gain.
With the help of yoga practice and following an Ayurvedic-Yogic diet, shedding weight can be made easy. Follow these seven steps to lead towards it:
Step 1- Prepare Yourself
The slightest change in the comfort can be quite chaotic. And when it comes to changing the food choices, the task can be really exhausting. Living in this fast-paced life, many of us don’t have any fixed eating schedule. We tend to eat anything anytime without caring about the actual appetite. The first step is to prepare to adopt this change. With yoga and meditation practice we become more aware of our body and gain the ability to choose the best for it.
Step 2- Throw it all out
As per the modern research, we all have willpower, but the extent of it is variable. So relying only upon the willpower can be dicey, especially when embarking on a journey to a healthier lifestyle and eating habits. So before you start with a yogic diet plan, clear up your pantry, freezer, cabins, and fridge. Replace unhealthy food with healthy and nutritious alternatives. Remember, “when a thing is out of our sight, it goes out of our mind.”
Step 3- Control Craving And Emotional Eating
Emotional eating and craving are two of the biggest reasons for weight gain. We all tend to stuff ourselves when in stress or feeling bored. To curb this, spend some time in conscious relaxation. It helps the brain to become more positive, reduce stress, and balance emotions. Swap your pizza and chocolate cake craving with a crunchy salad or a fruit smoothie. Do not remain hungry.
Step 4- What to eat and what not to?
There are many things that look healthy but are not in reality. So be very selective about your food choices. A yogic diet is all about picking healthy, non-processed food choices over unhealthy ones and incorporating ample nutrition in the diet to maintain balance.
- Eat fresh, green leafy vegetables such as- broccoli, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, fresh; seasonal fruits like berries, apple, citric fruits, water-based fruits, plain nuts including almonds, walnuts, figs. You can also try Vegan protein- tofu, soy milk or Vegetarian protein- lentils and dairy products, Whole grains like brown rice, barley, ragi, quinoa, and Healthy fats- coconut oil, flaxseed oil, avocados, sesame oil.
- Avoid eating junk, fast, processed, fermented, and canned food. Also avoid non-vegetarian food, alcohol, tobacco, smoking, overripe food, caffeinated food, or spicy food.
- Know your body constitution (the body dosha) and eat according to it.
Step 5- Detox And Stay Hydrated
When starting a yogic diet plan, the first thing you should do is detox your body and start afresh. Drink lukewarm water in the morning to clear your bowel completely. You can also drink Ayurvedic detox water or herbal drink in the morning. Remain hydrated through the entire day by drinking 8-10 glasses of water. Going on a 3-Day juice cleanse is highly recommended.
Step 6- Monitor The Progress
As we start with a yogic diet, in a few days we start noticing a change in ourselves. We start feeling lighter and healthier. To make the weight loss process easier and directive, you must check the change in weight or the inches regularly. Keeping an eye on the progress shall motivate you to remain dedicated and push you towards achieving the goal.
Step 7- Workout Is Important Too
A dedicated Yoga practice plays an equally important role in reducing weight as following a yogic diet plan. So follow yogic diet along with practicing yoga asanas for quick and more effective results. You can practice asanas like- Surya Namaskar, Dhanurasana, Sarvangasana, Trikonasana, Parivrtta Utkatasana, and Vriksasana, along with Kapalbhati Pranayama.
Sample Yogic Diet:
- Breakfast- Start your day with a glass of low-fat milk, or oatmeal, banana, or porridge, or idlis and nuts.
- Lunch- For lunch, have a bowl of salad, fruit, lentils, vegetable or boiled veggies, chapati, rice, and yogurt. Mid-day meal can be heavy.
- Dinner- Keep the last meal light. Have a bowl of salad, brown rice or khichdi. You can also have herbal tea with nuts or seeds, or go for oatmeal or cottage cheese.
Aim at being healthy and maintaining an ideal weight. And the combination of yoga and a yogic diet plan shall surely work its wonder. Remain dedicated to witnessing effective results.